Health, Safety and Well-Being
Here are some organizations that provide helpful services in keeping our family members safe and healthy:
This webpage has links to a variety of resources for Manitobans, including emergency resources, Covid info, health, youth, newcomers, and people with disabilities…and much more! You might want to bookmark this site to keep it at your fingertips.
Health Care: Doctors Doing House Calls
It can be difficult to manage long wait times in medical drop-in centres. Here’s another option if you need to see a doctor:
- Care Innova Doctor House Calls are open 7 days a week from 9 am to 9 pm – call (204) 694-5816. or book online
- Doctor House Calls is open 7 days a week from 7 am to 10 pm and can be reached at 204-586-5555.
- Envoy Medical Dispatch operates 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday and can be reached at (204) 786-4444
- Health Calls takes patients 8 am-6 pm Monday to Friday and can be reached at (204) 988-1900
Family Dynamics is a nonprofit community service organization focused on the needs of families. They can provide respite and in-home support for parents. Their Family Support Program’s goals are to:
- Provide hands-on, practical support so that a family can continue to function during difficult times e.g. laundry, meals, child care
- Strengthen parent/child relationships
- Assist families to promote the physical, cognitive, social and emotional development of their children
They provide many other services as well (including counselling). Fees are adjusted to the family’s ability to pay.
New Directions provides a range of counselling and educational opportunities for children, youth, and families, based on the values of integrity, honour, holism and respect.
The Link Youth and Family Supports (formerly McDonald Youth Services)
Phone: (204) 477-1722
24 hr crisis line: 1-888-383-2776
Youth and Family Supports offers a range of FREE services to help stabilize youth and families in times of crisis and improve long-term strength, resilience & well-being. Their goal is to help keep families together, surrounded by an extended community of support. Check the website for more information.
Mental Health Information
Mental Health Resource Guide
Winnipeg Therapists and Psychologists
Mental Health Education Resource Centre of Manitoba
4 Fort Street
Toll Free: 1-855-942-6568
Autism is not necessarily accompanied by mental health concerns, but for those of you who might find this resource helpful, the Mental Health Education Resource Centre (MHERC) has lots of up-to-date resources on mental health and mental illness, all of which are free to borrow.
Project Lifesaver Manitoba
If you have a child who is not safety aware and tends to wander off, this might be a great resource for you. Project Lifesaver provides police, fire/rescue and other first responders with a comprehensive program including equipment and training to quickly locate and rescue “at risk” individuals.
If you know of any other sources of practical support, let us know and we’ll add them!